Position Reports to: Executive Chef
Subordinate Staff: Prep cooks, dishwasher, all back of house staff
- Responsible for the daily operations of the kitchen, and provides professional leadership and direction to kitchen, prep, and dishwashing personnel.
- Ensures that all recipes, food preparations, and presentations meet Chef’s specifications and commitment to quality.
- Maintains a safe, orderly and sanitized kitchen. Demonstrates this by example, using proper food-handling techniques.
- Daily and on-going communication about any and all items related to food production and kitchen functioning with executive chef a MUST for this position.
- Provide feedback to BOH staff making constructive corrections or positive feedback regularly.
- Must have an automobile
- Pulls and scales all recipes for food production.
- Creates shopping list(s) and places food orders if necessary from vendors.
- Shops for groceries to fulfill daily prep lists
- Prepares daily production list.
- Maintains par stock and general kitchen inventory of dry goods, fresh and frozen items.
- Verifies with Chef that kitchen staff follows all recipes and portions servings correctly.
- Complete oversight of kitchen and all storage areas; to keep them clean and organized.
- Assist in hiring and training of kitchen staff to company standards.
- Sets excellent customer service and work examples.
- In charge of creating and confirming packing lists for all items necessary for events.
- Packing and loading of food, supplies and equipment for events.
- Responsible for on-site back of the house staff assembling and serving event.
- Notifying Chef of broken and or needed new supplies and other inventory for kitchen.
- Actively participates as a member of the management team.
- Oversees kitchen labor and food cost to budgetary requirements.
- Performs additional responsibilities, although not detailed, as requested by the Chef at any time.
- AOS culinary degree, equivalent training; or extensive cooking and production experience.
- Commitment to quality service, and extensive food and beverage knowledge.
- Basic math skills and ability to scale recipes.
- Knowledge of basic training techniques.
- Ability to work quickly under pressure.
- Background and experience in a supervisory role and with managing staff.
- Awareness of local, state and federal health and sanitation laws.
- Understanding of proper use and maintenance of major kitchen equipment, including stoves, refrigeration, knives and their classical cuts, and dish machine.
- A minimum of 4 years working in a food preparation position.
- Professional communication skills–oral and written.
- Actively supervises, motivates and disciplines employees.
- Assists with hiring and training of all new employees.
- Ability to work in a high-energy and demanding environment.
- Organization and leadership skills.
- Demonstrates strong leadership skills and is a team player.
- Works well under pressure.
- Can effectively solve problems.
- Able to take direction.
- 90% of time standing and 10% of time sitting.
- Direct contact with guests, managers and employees.
- Behaves professionally and can be flexible in a changing environment.
- Must be able to carry loads of 50 pounds.
- Excellent attendance is required with schedule flexibility determined by business needs.
40 hours paid vacation after 1 year. If you desire to take unpaid vacation time, this may be possible upon prior arrangements with Chef. NO VACATION is allowed during the month of December.
Kitchen Manager Position agrees to not to perform, solicit, or contract work for hire for any other catering company, restaurant, or any other food-related agency while under the employment of Mezzaluna Fine Catering.
Please send resume to Robert Moreau as a WORD attachment only. Be prepared with contacts at your last 2 employers. All references will be checked. Candidate will be required to perform a working interview to be considered for employment.