Banana Hazelnut Upside Down Cake
- 1/3 pound hazelnuts, toasted, skinned and coarsely chopped
- 1 cup sugar
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter (1 stick)
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup banana puree, from 1 or 2 bananas
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Hazelnut schmear, recipe follows
- Whole bananas
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Butter the cake pans.
- Toast the nuts and let them cool completely.
- In a food processor, grind the nuts with the 1 cup white sugar until very fine.
- In a mixer, cream the butter; then add the sugar mixture. Remove from mixer.
- Add the eggs one at a time and combine thoroughly. Add the sour cream and vanilla and stir. Mix in the banana puree.
- Stir in the flour, baking powder, and salt to make a smooth batter. Do not overmix or cake will be tough.
- To bake, cover the bottom of the cake pan with some of the warmed hazelnut schmear (microwave 40 seconds or so). Fan banana slices over it until the bottom of the pan is covered. Spoon in the batter.
- Bake until just set, about 35 to 40 minutes. (15-20 minutes for smaller ramekins). Keep warm in a low oven and turn it out at the last minute.
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1/2 pound dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped toasted hazelnuts
Melt the butter. Remove from the heat and whisk in the brown sugar and the nuts. Store in the refrigerator.