Chef John’s Fancy Seven Layer Salad
Memorial Day is next Monday, so I wanted to share my recipe for this wonderful staple for a picnic or family gathering, my seven layer salad!
This wonderful salad is easy, as you merely layer the ingredients one on top of another. You can use whatever veggies you like best. Be creative. There really isn’t any need to measure the ingredients, you can add quantities you prefer. This recipe is how I like to do it so it should give you a great start!
6 cups Chopped Romaine lettuce
1-pint Grape or cherry tomatoes, cut in half. (You may also use 8
Roma tomatoes and slice them, as I did in the picture.)
1 large English cucumber, striped and sliced
1 (12-ounce) Package frozen peas, thawed and rinsed
1 Medium red onion, minced
4 each Hard-boiled eggs
2 cups Grated cheddar, swiss, crumbled blue or any cheese you like
10 slices Bacon, cooked until crispy and chopped
2 cups Croutons of your choice
1½ cups Mayonnaise
½ cup Sour cream
4-6 each Green onions, sliced finely
1½ Tbspn Sugar
1/2 tsp. black pepper and salt
1. In a trifle bowl or large glass bowl, carefully layer the lettuce followed by the grape tomatoes, cucumber, peas, red onion, croutons, and hard-boiled egg.
2. Mix together dressing ingredients
3. Spread on top of the salad.
4. Sprinkle cheese and crumbled bacon on top.
5. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 8 hours before serving. YUMMY!
We LOVE to see your pictures and GOOD LUCK!