Easy Chicken with Morels
- 2 oz. dried morels, soaked for 30 minutes in 6 cups very hot water.
- 8 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- All-purpose flour for dredging
- ½ cup clarified butter
- 2/3 cup chopped shallots (4 large)
- 2 Tbsp minced garlic (6 cloves)
- 2 cups Madeira wine
- 16 oz crème fraîche
- 1-pint heavy cream
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Lift the morels carefully from the hot water in order to leave any grit behind in the liquid. Rinse a few times to be sure all the grittiness is gone. Discard liquid and dry the morels lightly with paper towels. Set aside.
- Sprinkle the chicken with salt and pepper. Dredge them in flour and shake off excess. Heat half the clarified butter in a large sauté pan and cook the chicken in 2 batches over medium-low heat until browned on both sides, 8-10 minutes. Remove to an ovenproof casserole.
- Add the rest of the butter to the pan along with the shallots, drained morels, and garlic. Sauté over medium high heat for 2 minutes, tossing and stirring constantly.
- Pour the Madeira into the pan and reduce the liquid by half over high heat 2-4 minutes.
- Add the crème fraîche, cream, lemon juice, 2 tsp. salt, and 1 tsp pepper. Boil mixture until it starts to thicken 5-10 minutes.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken and bake for 12 minutes, or until the chicken is heated through. Enjoy!