Blueberry Hazelnut Coffeecake with Streusel Topping
Active time: 25 min Start to finish: 1 1/2 hr
Makes 8 servings.
Cooks’ note: Coffeecake can be made 1 day ahead and kept, covered, at room temperature. Reheat, covered, in a 350°F. oven.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/4 cups plus 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 whole large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla or 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 cups blueberries (15 oz)
- Preheat oven to 350°F and butter a 2- to 2 1/2-quart (2 1/4 inches deep) ceramic or glass baking dish.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Beat together butter and 1 1/4 cups sugar with an electric mixer until light and fluffy.
- Beat in whole eggs, 1 at a time, then vanilla.
- Alternately add flour mixture and milk in batches, beginning and ending with flour mixture and beating on low-speed after each addition until just incorporated.
- Fold in berries.
- Spoon batter into baking dish, spreading evenly.
- Make streusel topping and sprinkle over top of the cake.
- Bake in middle of oven until golden brown and a tester inserted in center comes out clean, 50 minutes to 1 hour. Cool in pan on a rack 10 minutes.
Streusel topping ingredients
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup hazelnuts (about 2 1/2 ounces)
- 1/4 cup (packed) golden brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
For streusel topping:
- Combine first 5 ingredients in processor. Blend using on/off turns until nuts are coarsely chopped.
- Add butter and cut in using on/off turns until mixture begins to clump together.
- Transfer streusel to bowl and refrigerate until needed.