Chef John’s “Holiday Breakfast” Crème Brulee French Toast
This recipe is a terrific addition to your holiday brunch table or Christmas Morning celebration. I’ve made this recipe for more than 15 years and my sons and I never get tired of it. Try it…you can also toss some fresh raspberries, or blueberries on the top just before baking.
Crème Brulee French Toast Recipe
Makes 6 servings.
1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter
1 cup packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons corn syrup
an 8- to 9-inch round loaf country-style bread
5 large eggs
1 1/2 cups half-and-half
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon Grand Marnier
1/4 teaspoon salt
1. In a small heavy saucepan melt butter with brown sugar and corn syrup over moderate heat, stirring, until smooth and pour into a 13- by 9- by 2-inch baking dish.
2. Cut six 1-inch thick slices from center portion of bread, reserving ends for another use, and trim crusts. Arrange bread slices in one layer in baking dish, squeezing them slightly to fit.
3. In a bowl whisk together eggs, half-and-half, vanilla, Grand Marnier, and salt until combined well and pour evenly over bread. Chill bread mixture, covered, at least 8 hours and up to 1 day.
4. Preheat oven to 350° F. and bring bread to room temperature.
5. Bake bread mixture, uncovered, in middle of oven until puffed and edges are pale golden, 35 to 40 minutes. Serve hot French toast immediately.
Happy Holidays – Chef John