Recipe: Cranberry Upside-Down Cake
At Mezzaluna, we’ve made this decadent cake for our clients for more than a decade. It’s my personal favorite since I’m a cranberry addict. It’s rich and gorgeous and will dazzle your guests. Chef John
- 2½ sticks Unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 3/4 cups fresh or defrosted frozen cranberries
- 9 T pure maple syrup
- 1/2 t ground cinnamon
- 1 t baking powder
- 1/4 t salt
- 6 T yellow cornmeal, preferably coarse
- 1/4 cup almond paste
- 3/4 cup plus 2T sugar
- 3 large eggs separated
- 1/4 t pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 t pure almond extract
- 1/2 cup milk
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heavily coat inside of pans with Vegoline spray. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat 6 tablespoons butter over medium heat until it sizzles. Add cranberries, and cook until shiny, 2 to 3 minutes. Add maple syrup and cinnamon. Cook, stirring frequently, until cranberries soften but still hold their shape, about 5 minutes.
- Remove cranberries with a slotted spoon, and transfer to a baking sheet to cool slightly. Set skillet with syrup aside. Arrange cranberries in the prepared pan.
- Return skillet with syrup to medium heat, and cook until syrup boils, 3 to 4 minutes; do not overcook. Immediately pour syrup over cranberries, and let cool, about 10 minutes.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt. Mix in cornmeal with a fork. Set aside.
- Place remaining 6 tablespoons butter in an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Crumble in almond paste and, using the paddle, beat on medium speed until well combined, about 30 seconds.
- Gradually add 3/4 cup sugar, and beat until creamy. Add egg yolks, and beat until well combined. Beat in vanilla and almond extracts. Add flour mixture alternately with milk in two batches. Set aside
- In a clean bowl, use the whisk attachment to beat egg whites until foamy. Slowly add remaining 2 tablespoons sugar; beat until soft peaks form. Whisk a third of the whites into batter, then fold in remaining whites.
- Spread batter over cranberries, and bake for 45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool in pan 2 hours before inverting onto a serving plate.
How to send me your pictures!
-Post it to Instagram as “Cranberry Upside-Down Cake” and tag @chefjohnpaulk.
-Post a picture on Mezzaluna’s Facebook page here! with the same title as above!
We LOVE to see your pictures and GOOD LUCK with your cake!
View more of our award winning cuisine by visiting our Galleries Page Here! Interested in connecting on catering? Give us a call or fill out our contact form Here.
Happy Holidays – Chef John