Chef John’s Mile-High Lemon Bars
These lemon bars are some of the best. The crust is flaky, and the filling is thick and gooey. The sweet and tart of these bars complement each other perfectly. My partner, Robert, LOVES lemon bars, but rarely eats them since he’s such a health nut. However, I can tempt him now and then and he cannot resist!
Yield: 30 bars
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sifted powdered sugar
1 cup chilled butter
1 1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon shredded lemon peel
6 tablespoons lemon juice
4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
powdered sugar for dusting
• Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease an 8×11 pan with cooking spray.
• Add 2 cups flour and 1/2 cup powdered sugar to a food processor and pulse to combine.
• Add chilled butter and pulse until the mixture looks like coarse crumbs.
• Pat into the greased pan and refrigerate for 15 minutes. Bake the crust for 15-20 minutes until golden brown and soft to the touch.
• In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, granulated sugar, lemon peel, and lemon juice.
• Stir together 4 tablespoons of flour and baking powder and add to egg mixture. Blend just until all is moistened.
• Pour over warm crust. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until the filling is set.
• Cool completely on a wire rack. Sift powdered sugar over the top of the bars.
We LOVE to see your pictures and GOOD LUCK!