Chef John’s Strawberry Rhubarb Crunch
I LOVE rhubarb…it’s so wonderful and tart. My Strawberry Rhubarb Crunch is an EASY dessert to make. Anyone can do it. If you’d like, feel free to combine 1 ½ cups toasted chopped nuts and add them for something extra special to the topping. Absolutely Delicious! Chef John
4 cups fresh rhubarb, 1-inch diced (4 to 5 stalks)
4 cups fresh strawberries, hulled and halved, if large
1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons grated orange zest
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup light brown sugar, lightly packed
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup quick-cooking (not instant) oatmeal
12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) cold unsalted butter, diced
Vanilla ice cream, for serving it with
For the Filling
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- For the fruit, toss the rhubarb, strawberries, 3/4 cup of the granulated sugar and the orange juice and then mix it into the fruit.
- Pour the mixture into an 8-by-11-inch baking dish and place it on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper.
For the Topping
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the flour, the remaining 1/2 cup granulated sugar, the brown sugar, salt and oatmeal.
- With the mixer on low speed, add the butter and mix until the dry ingredients are moist and the mixture is in crumbles.
- Sprinkle the topping over the fruit, covering it completely, and bake for 1 hour, until the fruit is bubbling, and the topping is golden brown.
- Serve warm with vanilla ice cream.
We LOVE to see your pictures and GOOD LUCK!