Peppermint Semifreddo for Your Portland Holiday Party
- ½ cup Crushed candy canes (can do in a food processor)
- 1 ½ cups heavy cream
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 9 Tbsp. sugar
- 6 Tbsp. peppermint liqueur
- Place cream in a mixer bowl, add 5 tbsps. crushed candy and whip until stiff peaks form. Chill until ready to use. Chill until ready to use.
- In a large metal bowl, set over a pan of simmering water, whisk egg yolks and 3 tbsps sugar until pale in color. Add liqueur; whisk vigorously until mixture is thick, 3-5 minutes. Cool in refrigerator
- In a heatproof bowl of electric mixer, set over a pan of simmering water, whisk eggs whites and remaining 6 tbspns. Sugar until sugar dissolves and the mixture is warm to the touch, about 2 minutes. Attach bowl to mixer, and beat until stiff and glossy peaks form.
- Fold egg white mixture into the egg-yolk mixture one-third at a time. Fold in the whipped cream mixture.
- Spoon mixture into six serving dishes, like martini goblets, layering it with reserved candy cane. Freeze until firm at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Garnish with crushed candy cane and warmed hot fudge on the side.