Chef John’s Crusty Baked Mac and Cheese Recipe
At Mezzaluna, we serve pounds and pounds of our fabulous Mac and Cheese to our catering clients. I can’t believe I’m doing this, because I vowed I’d NEVER share this recipe, but I’m in such a great mood this festive season, so…well…Here you go. See below for instructions on how to end me your pictures! Let me know how you like it. Happy Holidays!
Serves 8 Butter or vegetable oil, for baking dish
16 ounces Penne pasta or elbow macaroni
½ ea Minced onion
½ cup + 1 cup for topping Sharp Cheddar, grated
½ cup Smoked Gruyere Cheese, grated
½ cup Fontina Cheese, grated
½ cup Parmegiano Regiano grated
½ teaspoon garlic powder, cayenne, and paprika
——- Tabasco or Thai chili oil to taste
1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
½ cup Flour
½ cup Butter
1 qt. Whole milk
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter or oil and 8-inch baking dish; set aside.
2. Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat. Cook pasta, according to package directions, for 2 minutes less than recommended on the package. Rinse pasta in cold water; set aside.
3. In a sauce pan, melt butter then whisk in flour and cook until it is a pale brown roux approx. 2-3 minutes.
4. Slowly whisk in milk until no lumps appear and mixture thickens and just comes to a simmer.
5. Lightly sweat minced onion in a little olive oil over medium-low heat, until softended and translucent. Set aside.
6. Turn heat off of roux and gradually add cheeses, spices and tabasco, and mix until melted. Add onions.
How to send me your pictures!
We LOVE to see your pictures and GOOD LUCK with your dish ad Happy Holidays!!
Happy Holidays – Chef John