Chef John’s Decadent Spicy Cioppino
INGREDIENTS – Serves 4
-1 lb cooked whole Dungeness crab
-1/3 cup olive oil
-1 cup finely chopped onion
-1 tablespoon chopped fresh marjoram
-1 bay leaf
-1 2-ounce can anchovy fillets, drained, chopped
-1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
-3 garlic cloves, minced
-2 tablespoons harissa paste or chili-garlic sauce (found in the Asian aisle)
-2 cups dry white wine
-2 cups fish stock or bottled clam juice
-2 cups canned crushed tomatoes with puree (preferably San Marzano tomatoes)
-16 mussels, scrubbed, debearded
-10 ounces cod or other white fish, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
-1/2 pound cleaned squid, bodies cut into rings
-1/2 pound uncooked large shrimp, peeled, deveined
-1 bunch parsley
1. Remove crab legs and cut at joints. Cut crab body into quarters; scrape out gills and intestines and discard.
2. Heat olive oil in large pot over high heat. Add chopped onion, marjoram and bay leaf. Sauté 2 minutes.
3. Add anchovies, parsley, garlic and harissa paste; sauté 2 minutes. Add crab legs and body pieces and white wine. Reduce heat; simmer 4 minutes.
4. Add stock and tomatoes. Increase heat and boil 5 minutes.
5. Add mussels; cook until mussels open, about 7 minutes (discard any mussels that do not open).
6. Add remaining seafood; simmer until cod and shrimp are opaque in center, stirring often, about 4 minutes.
7. Ladle Cioppino into bowls and serve with crusty, garlic crostini
How to send me your pictures!
-Post it to Instagram as “Chef John’s DECADENT Spicy Seafood Cioppino” and tag @chefjohnpaulk.
-Post a picture on Mezzaluna’s Facebook page here! with the same title as above!
We LOVE to see your pictures and GOOD LUCK with your dish and Happy Holidays!!