AMAZING Thai Flank Steak Salad
Recipe courtesy of Chef John Paulk, Mezzaluna Catering and Events
I adore flank steak. It is versatile and relatively inexpensive. Flank steak is widely available and easy to recognize by its long, flat shape and distinctive longitudinal grain. Cutting across the grain breaks up the muscle fibers for more tender slices. This salad is incredible bursting with flavors and texture.
Ingredients – Makes 6 servings
1-cup Fresh lime juice
5 Tbspn Brown sugar
3 Tbspn Peeled and grated fresh ginger
3 Tbspn Thai fish sauce
3 Tbspn Chile garlic paste
2 cloves Minced garlic
1 (1½ lb.) Flank steak, trimmed
1 Tbspn ea. Black pepper & Kosher salt
12 cups Watercress, trimmed of stems
(about 2 bunches)
3 cups Red cabbage, thinly sliced
3-cups Fresh Thai basil leaves
1-cup Fresh mint leaves
½ cup Fresh cilantro leaves
3 cups Julienne of carrot
3 cups English cucumber, sliced
2 cups Cherry tomatoes, halved
1 ea Red onions sliced very thinly
1 cup dry-roasted peanuts, coarsely
1. To prepare dressing, combine all 6 ingredients in a bowl, stir well with a whisk
2. To prepare steak, heat a large nonstick skillet or grill pan; coat with 2 tbspn. olive oil over medium-high heat. Rub both sides of steak with generous amount of salt and pepper. Add steak to pan; cook 6 minutes on each side or until desired degree of doneness.
3. Remove steak from pan; place on a cutting board. Cover loosely with foil; let stand 10 minutes. Cut steak diagonally across the grain into thin slices. Place steak in a bowl. Drizzle with half of the dressing; toss well.
4. To prepare salad, combine watercress and next 8 ingredients in a large bowl or on a platter. Drizzle mixture with remaining dressing and toss well.
5. Divide the salad among 6 plates; arrange steak evenly over salads. Sprinkle each salad with chopped peanuts.
View much more of our award winning cuisine by visiting our Galleries Page Here! Interested in connecting on catering? Give us a call or fill out our contact form Here.
How to send me your pictures!
-Post it to Instagram as “Chef John’s Thai Steak Salad” and tag @chefjohnpaulk.
-Post a picture on Mezzaluna’s Facebook page here! with the same title as above!
We LOVE to see your pictures and GOOD LUCK with your dish!